Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

How'd I get so much stuff?

It was a little dusty and it smells like cat piss on bad days but it's mine. I moved into my own humble flat on April 1, after negotiating with a truck driver named Billy Bob that he would drop off my stuff that morning, not sooner, even though he really had to get going back to The Pas, or somewhere. So on that cool, April morning, I moved into my 3rd floor (no elevator) apartment. With no furniture. Thanks to friends, I had a futon to sleep on....and thanks to my parents I now have a couch, chair and TV (no cable but yes, I have internet at home).
Which brings me to my stuff. When I went to my parents' house, they had thoughtfully collected all of my boxes together so I could easily pack them up and take them to my semi-permanent home, making it clear that the next time I moved to a distant place, I better budget for commercial long-term storage space.
But I had no idea I had so much stuff. Most of it is good stuff. Books, CDs, tapes and lots of souvenirs that I forgot I had. But while I have all the necessary furniture, I'm lacking in places to put my stuff. Shelves on which to place books, desk for computer peripherals, drawers for electronics cables...
So, I'm getting ready to buy more stuff. It's soon to be garage sale season in Saskatoon and I'm ready. I had the choice of buying my shelving needs from Walmart for cheap, but I'm going to try the 2nd hand route first. I'll either be frustrated by the end of May and cave in on that $100 corner desk made of sawdust and glue from China.
I went to a great gig at Amigo's last weekend. The Stars were in town, with Apostle of Hustle. Good fun, even though I was exhausted from moving furniture all day.
Work is going well. I spent the week being afternoon anchor, meaning I compiled and read the news every half hour. Next week, I'm reporter girl again. And next Friday, work people are having their monthly poker night, where you can play for fun and cash. I'd prefer a crib tourney, but I guess I'll jump on the latest gaming craze for an evening.
Threw the disc a bit yesterday with my new ultimate team. Slogan: "We're a solid 'B' team." Today, I hurt. Those muscles involved in throwing and running and catching have been lazy a little too long.
First World Guilt Moment: I saw that one of my T-shirts was made in Bangladesh and wondered if it had been made in the garment factory near Dhaka that fell down and killed over 20 people this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home