Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Puking white stuff

"I like big dumps."
That's what my t-shirt says. And if I was still a snowboard/ski queen like I used to be, or fancied myself to be, the t-shirt might speak the truth. But now, I no longer throw myself down hills at speeds at which I was sure to hurt various parts of my body.
I was wondering where my dislike for downhill snow sports (with the exception of tobogganing) originated. Was it the outrageous cost? Or the intense frustration? Or the fear of hurting myself?
The frustration came first. I remember being in some bowl at Fernie thinking, "I hate this. I suck." The same feeling came on an icy slope on Castle Mtn, years later. "I hate this. I really suck...and man, I could really hurt myself."
And there's the fear. A fateful chair lift incident sealed the deal 2 years ago at Nakiska. I only sprained my ankle, but it felt much worse. I spent the day reading Virginia Woolf (thanks for paperbacks stowed in backpacks) on the deck of the lodge, happy that I didn't hurt myself any worse that day. And satisfied with my decision to stop the fear and frustration and simply not snowboard anymore.
Plus, it was getting too expensive. Excellent rationale. If I continue to be broke and work too many jobs, or go to school, no one will expect me to spend money on something like ski hills.
But now, I live amongst the ski hills. A world class hill is only 6km away from me and multiple ski destinations are no more than 4 hours from where I live and work. People are coming to visit me and they will want to ski and snowboard. It's becoming very hard to avoid it. How do I explain that I've had five good runs since I started snowboarding in 1995? And they were probably all in the same day?
It's not that I'm afraid of snow or that I'm lazy. If there's a hut at some farflung lake, throw some backcountry skis on me and I'll see you there...and I'll carry all the food. No problem. Tell me I have to cross country ski 30km, pulling a sled. Giddiyup.
I just don't like downhill things. Gravity. Speed. The inevitable twist and crunch and crumple into a heap.
And don't get me started on the cost...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home