Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

I dedicate my final column in the paper to my car. My sweet, 300,000+km car who desperately wants to be accepted by British Columbia as one of its own. I decided this week to be a responsible citizen and try to get BC plates put on my car. An inspection is the first step. The inspection is the first problem. I took it to a nice mechanic, who, depending on who you talk to, is either the most honest or sleaziest mechanic in the city. He found so much wrong with my car that he didn't offiicially file an inspection report. He just charged me for the labour and told me to get back to him if I wanted to actually do the work on my car. The ballpark cost? $1,500.
Yup, I'm screwed.
And then the next day, my car wouldn't start. The battery was dead. I think my car suspected that I had lost faith in it and decided to punish me. Luckily, my landlord was able to give me a boost and find me a new battery for cheaper than I could.
But even without fixing anything on my car, I've managed to spend almost $200 on it this week. That doesn't include gas.
So, I'm exploring my options as to what I'm going to do with the car situation. My dad suggested a lease to own on a new Cavalier. Problem is, I can't afford a lease and I hate Cavaliers. Heard too many bad things about them and can't stand to think that I would drive a car that I've mocked for years.
Another option is that I quit the job I haven't started yet, move to a city that doesn't require a vehicle and start over again. Not a great option.
But whatever happens, the Bonneville has served me and the rest of family well over the years. It deserves a hearty salute before I scream at what a money pit it has become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home