Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Monday, October 11, 2004

This blog is a long distance dedication to my friend Doug, who asked that I post more frequently. Actually, to be specific, he asked for more bitter blogs. And since I'm in a pissy mood right now, I think a bitter blog is what's coming up next.
I'm at the office on Thanksgiving Monday. Yes, I'm technically not doing any work as I sit here blogging bitterly, but I should be and I will be, as soon as I unload here.
Warning: happy weekend memories coming up
I just drove from Kelowna and ended up here, at the office. The weekend in Kelowna was exactly what I needed emotionally. My wallet, however, did not need it at all. I drove in on Friday night and since I was early, I headed directly to a Chapters and browsed. What a treat. I love Chapters and its magazine section. I spent a good hour there smelling the Starbucks, reading both educational (The Nation) and trashy (People) mags, revelling in the big city life on a Friday night. I then spent a great evening with Lynn and Greg. We just watched the Kerry/Bush debate, went to a pub for food (had a Crantini in honour of Thanksgiving) and went to a birthday party, but it was nice to be around old friends. It was my first weekend out of GF since early August so I was in serious friend withdrawal. I saw the happy couple off late the next morning. They were going to Vancouver for the Sting/Annie Lennox concert and Marls and I were staying at their house. I made it to the mall, sweet mall and proceeded to convince myself that I really needed a large cowl neck sweater and black boots. B/c fashion is everything down in the southern interior lumber towns, yessir indeedee. So stoopid of me. But I have a really nice sweater and really nice boots, which will keep me warm in my cardboard box when I can't pay rent. Kidding.
Marls went to bed early that night b/c she was doing the marathon in the morning. I was not, so I felt free to go out with my friend Colin and his buddy Steve. Let's just say that the beer tasted really good and the Wild Turkey should've been left on the shelf but great times were had by all. I was especially enlightened by C & Ss opinion on the new crocheted poncho women were sporting all over the bar. Their take: doesn't do much for them. But, all is not lost. Cleavage is still in. Take note fashionistas.
But I made it to the start of the marathon to see Marls and a few other people from GF run by. I hung around for three hours watching people sweat their way to a finish line while I ate bagels and read a book. Sure, I felt like I should be out there running too but that feeling passed as I remembered how dehydrated I was.
The rest of the day passed uneventfully, mostly b/c Marls and I were dead tired from each of our endeavours.
But I still managed to read the Sat. Globe and Mail. All was not lost.
Now for the bitchy part.
I'm at the office trying to think of a column for this week's paper. Why are you writing a column when you are already doing the work of two reporters and have the new responsibility of sports editor? you might ask. Well, I asked that I would no longer be required to write the column a few weeks ago, b/c of my extra responsibilities covering all the news in town. My editor agreed and I stopped writing the column to concentrate on everything else. Until this week. On Thursday, he left me a note that said to write the column. Of course, he knew full well that I was leaving for the weekend. You know, my only weekend away in over a month. But instead of confronting him about it, I thought, "Let's see if he actually talks to me about it. " Never did. Didn't talk to me at all, actually. I'm still not sure what this guy does all day but he certainly is busy doing it.
My only salvation is that I know that I'm going to be leaving before Xmas and I'm pretty sure that he's going to get fired by then. Alleluia.
Lots is going on this week, so more updates will be coming up soon.
Happy Wild Turkey and Crantini Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home