Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I have come to despise my job between the hours of nine and five, Monday thru Friday. But the times I actually like my job are when complete strangers or the mayor of GF tells me that my editorial last week was really good. I like my job too when I get to tell an actual story that might mean something to someone. With a new quota of 10 stories per week, those 'real' stories are sure to be few and far between while I scrounge up non-stories to fill my quota. Probably more stories about missing turtles or something.
I'm starting to be known by more and more people around town. I walk into my favourite coffee shop, Joga's, and I'm on a first name basis with everyone who works there and at least half of the customers. I keep running into people I've met once or twice and have to always stop for a chat. I'm known by at least 2 Overwaitea cashiers and a couple of gas jockeys. Or at least I'm known by my alias, The Gazette Girl. I can only assume that they're referring to me and not Shella, the other reporter, since we look nothing alike and she doesn't talk to people, as far as I can tell.
Speaking of work, I'm still applying for other jobs in the West and overseas and have a good line on a local radio job for November (thought it was in Sept but now November). Apparently, they're impressed with my work and want me to freelance for them right now, but the Gazette won't let me. So, if anyone knows of a communications or journalism job in, say, Kelowna, Nelson, Penticton areas or beyond, lemme know.
Had a great weekend in Regina, despite the weather. My friend Marcy had her wedding reception and many of the 'gang' showed up to take advantage of her parents' hospitality and the open bar. Unfortunately, the mandatory Koltun pool party turned into an indoor party when the weather didn't cooperate. Great to see everyone and I'm still exhausted from running around and seeing everyone. You know you're getting old when you play the "Who's next to get married/have kids?' game and you're either running out of players or doubling up. Sadly, though I didn't catch a bouquet, I was chosen as the next to get married simply b/c I've had a date in the past month. Apparently that throws me ahead of the pack, where one jumps from a date to a wedding dress in a single bound.
Just a heads up: I will never have a wedding. I'm too lazy to plan anything bigger than a scavenger hunt. I really hate wedding magazines, books, dresses, flowers, table decorations, toasts, speeches, etc as they pertain to me and my life, though I think they're really sweet for anyone else.
And while I cheer on anyone who wants to get married and fully believe that we should have the freedom to marry anyone, I'd like to remind the masses that no one must get married. Your life will be full and happy and memorable if you never say 'I do' or walk down an aisle.
Wow, that was a bit of a rant. Hm, I guess weddings bring out the Dennis Miller in me.
In honour of Ryan Seacrest's show getting cancelled,
"White out."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home