I'm not sure if it's the GF influence or the presence of cows, horses and tillable
land. But these days, I'm feeling a little bit country. Don't get me wrong. I'm not
spinning the dial off CBC to the local country station (there isn't one) or
hanging out at the local country bar (there isn't one) or even buying a Garth
Brooks CD at the local record shop (there isn't one...really).
But I am watching CMT at the local gym (yes, there IS one). It's not like I have a
choice though. The TV in front of the treadmill is tuned into CMT by someone with
more power than me (probably Brian, the owner of the gym).
I personally would prefer MuchMoreMusic or the increasingly annoying MuchMusic
(though I applaud their decision to put Outkast's 'Caroline' in high rotation).
Even MuchVibe would be great.
But no, CMT is on the TV. I've found quite a difference between country videos and
rock or hip hop videos. Country videos are bad. Rock and hip hop ones are good.
Exceptions, of course, apply. Nickelback videos suck. Or maybe their music does.
Little of A, little of B. The other exception is that a country video, specifically
Paul Brandt's 'Leaving' is quite good. And the song is good too.
Yes, I know. Someone who is counting the days til the new Beastie Boys CD comes
out so she can drive 2 hours to the nearest record shop to buy it cannot possibly
like a country song.
And this isn't borderline folk-Lucinda-country, cool-Neko Case-country. This is
100%, Top Ten Canadian country hosted by that guy who used to host Good Rockin'
Tonite (Stu Jeffries hasn't aged well. Neither has C. Thomas Howell, but that's
a different topic).
But I'm in GF now and I'll take my little piece of happiness wherever I can get
it.
land. But these days, I'm feeling a little bit country. Don't get me wrong. I'm not
spinning the dial off CBC to the local country station (there isn't one) or
hanging out at the local country bar (there isn't one) or even buying a Garth
Brooks CD at the local record shop (there isn't one...really).
But I am watching CMT at the local gym (yes, there IS one). It's not like I have a
choice though. The TV in front of the treadmill is tuned into CMT by someone with
more power than me (probably Brian, the owner of the gym).
I personally would prefer MuchMoreMusic or the increasingly annoying MuchMusic
(though I applaud their decision to put Outkast's 'Caroline' in high rotation).
Even MuchVibe would be great.
But no, CMT is on the TV. I've found quite a difference between country videos and
rock or hip hop videos. Country videos are bad. Rock and hip hop ones are good.
Exceptions, of course, apply. Nickelback videos suck. Or maybe their music does.
Little of A, little of B. The other exception is that a country video, specifically
Paul Brandt's 'Leaving' is quite good. And the song is good too.
Yes, I know. Someone who is counting the days til the new Beastie Boys CD comes
out so she can drive 2 hours to the nearest record shop to buy it cannot possibly
like a country song.
And this isn't borderline folk-Lucinda-country, cool-Neko Case-country. This is
100%, Top Ten Canadian country hosted by that guy who used to host Good Rockin'
Tonite (Stu Jeffries hasn't aged well. Neither has C. Thomas Howell, but that's
a different topic).
But I'm in GF now and I'll take my little piece of happiness wherever I can get
it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home