Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Friday, May 28, 2004

Trying not to be negative....Trying, trying, trying.
OK, Here's my effort at not being negative. It's the end of week 2 at the paper and
I'm already looking at the media job websites.
Don't get me wrong; I don't hate my job. Not yet.
I'm just frustrated with my editor/boss. He tends to leave out bits of information. Like,
he sent me out to review a performance last night. Great. It's good folkie music and it's
free. OK. Ready to go.
Today he asks to see all of the pics I took. I explain that I didn't get any good pics b/c
the crazy folkies wouldn't stop moving. Bad blurry digital photos.
He says oh, OK, no problem then.
Later, he approaches me and says something to the effect, "Getting a picture really would've
been great. I would've filled one page with it."
I've only been here a week or so and I already know that my editor has plans that he doesn't
share at editorial meetings.
Like he wanted a picture good enough to fill a quarter page.
I didn't know what to say, except "If you would've told me you REALLY wanted a picture, I
would've got one for you. But you told me you wanted a REVIEW."
Information here at work comes in dribbles. Most of the time, if I want to know something,
I have to ask. Nothing is offered up to me until you start screwing up, apparently.
And all of this 'photo' business has to do with the fact that the big bosses (from Cranbrook
and Vancouver) were visiting yesterday and THEY decided that they wanted more pictures in
the paper.
And I get told.
After I fail to get a picture...
of something I was to review.
I've now been told the policy is to get a picture with every story.
Now that I've been told, I'll be sure to do it.
Easy.
Venting is fun.
Up next for the Wild Adventures of Suz...
unpacking.
Yup, I'm going to actually get some of these boxes out of my room and into storage. I'm
currently living in a multi-coloured tote box nightmare. I feel like I'm living in some
type of child's fort.
Movie update: I saw Shrek 2 tonight...with all of the town's children. Yup, the theatre
is actually showing something within a month of its release. But next week, they're showing
Troy and then, Mean Girls.
I'm so glad I get free passes. I wonder if I have to do reviews.
And get a picture, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home