That old urban feeling
This is the name of my first column. It was also my first assignment. I started work yesterday and that was one of the things I had to finish for today.
Since then, I've covered the Grand Forks City Council meeting, a high school play, and the Toddle-a-thon.
Draw your own conclusions about the heavy news days in Grand Forks.
Since its only my 2nd day, I don't feel qualified to comment on how things are going so far. All I can say is that I have my own office in a building that is as old as this town. No one has their own company email; there is only one yahoo.com address for the entire paper. Nobody has a direct line or voicemail. A nice woman named Betty takes care of messages. But I do have a Mac OS9.2 running, with Adobe, Quark and all the whistles.
As for my living situation, I moved into a house in the hills, about 3km from town. There's a fire pit, BBQ, hot tub and deck. I share the kitchen but have my own bathroom off my bedroom, as well as my own entrance. My room has skylights, so I can watch the stars from my bed. And it smells like cabin out there. Fresh air and water. We're right above a valley full of cows. And my landlords say that there's a nice swimming hole not too far away. The Trans Canada hiking trail is right by the property as well.
As for the town, I'm getting used to it. People know I'm new, or think I'm a tourist. Coffee shops aren't open on Sunday, so I'll have to get used to drinking my coffee at home and reading the paper there.
Ooops, time to go. I'm not sure what time the Overwaitea closes and I have some food to get.
This is the name of my first column. It was also my first assignment. I started work yesterday and that was one of the things I had to finish for today.
Since then, I've covered the Grand Forks City Council meeting, a high school play, and the Toddle-a-thon.
Draw your own conclusions about the heavy news days in Grand Forks.
Since its only my 2nd day, I don't feel qualified to comment on how things are going so far. All I can say is that I have my own office in a building that is as old as this town. No one has their own company email; there is only one yahoo.com address for the entire paper. Nobody has a direct line or voicemail. A nice woman named Betty takes care of messages. But I do have a Mac OS9.2 running, with Adobe, Quark and all the whistles.
As for my living situation, I moved into a house in the hills, about 3km from town. There's a fire pit, BBQ, hot tub and deck. I share the kitchen but have my own bathroom off my bedroom, as well as my own entrance. My room has skylights, so I can watch the stars from my bed. And it smells like cabin out there. Fresh air and water. We're right above a valley full of cows. And my landlords say that there's a nice swimming hole not too far away. The Trans Canada hiking trail is right by the property as well.
As for the town, I'm getting used to it. People know I'm new, or think I'm a tourist. Coffee shops aren't open on Sunday, so I'll have to get used to drinking my coffee at home and reading the paper there.
Ooops, time to go. I'm not sure what time the Overwaitea closes and I have some food to get.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home