I made it back to London on Friday night. All flights were on time; everything ticked over perfectly. I even made it to the Jimmy Swift Band at Elements after I dropped my bags off. I was exhausted by the time I got to bed and was hoping that I'd be able to sleep in to a decent hour.
Yah, right. 7am and I'm totally awake. I start unpacking, cleaning up, figuring out what I left in my cupboard that's still good to eat. And realizing that my car is under 3 feet of snow; not sure if it's even going to start.
So, I bundle up (b/c compared to BKK, it's frickin' cold here) and start shovelling. My neighbour Dave comes out to say hello and mentioned that he'd been shovelling off my car for me b/c he didn't want people to know that I was away. It had been snowing so much that he couldn't keep up with the shovelling in the past week or so, that's why my car was still buried.
How sweet is that! It's so Canadian and neighbourly!
It still took me over an hour to get the car out, but it started!
And then I realized that I still had a day left, before classes, to make some new beginnings and shed some old demons. Instead of the new year occuring at the beginning of January (or even the end, like Chinese New Year), it was happening right now.
First of all, I decided that I needed to leave a relationship that had turned incredibly toxic and angry. And that had to happen ASAP. After a brief phone conversation (where his attitude completely validated and justified my reasons for ending the rel'p), a very brief 'talk' where we agreed to "just be friends" ended whatever rel'p we had. It was the easiest and least painful break-up (of a non-existent rel'p) I've ever participated in. I'm still a bit sad though, mostly b/c I know that we're not going to be friends.
It really is just one of those things you say to make things not so painful. Like being friends is easy.
Secondly, I know I have to retool my attitude towards school and career. I have 2.5 months left in this program and so far, no solid job prospects. I have to get on that immediately, start making contact with people, think about internships, think about where I'm going to move. 10 weeks is nothing and I better have a plan soon.
Because I really don't want to move to Regina and live with my parents.
Yah, right. 7am and I'm totally awake. I start unpacking, cleaning up, figuring out what I left in my cupboard that's still good to eat. And realizing that my car is under 3 feet of snow; not sure if it's even going to start.
So, I bundle up (b/c compared to BKK, it's frickin' cold here) and start shovelling. My neighbour Dave comes out to say hello and mentioned that he'd been shovelling off my car for me b/c he didn't want people to know that I was away. It had been snowing so much that he couldn't keep up with the shovelling in the past week or so, that's why my car was still buried.
How sweet is that! It's so Canadian and neighbourly!
It still took me over an hour to get the car out, but it started!
And then I realized that I still had a day left, before classes, to make some new beginnings and shed some old demons. Instead of the new year occuring at the beginning of January (or even the end, like Chinese New Year), it was happening right now.
First of all, I decided that I needed to leave a relationship that had turned incredibly toxic and angry. And that had to happen ASAP. After a brief phone conversation (where his attitude completely validated and justified my reasons for ending the rel'p), a very brief 'talk' where we agreed to "just be friends" ended whatever rel'p we had. It was the easiest and least painful break-up (of a non-existent rel'p) I've ever participated in. I'm still a bit sad though, mostly b/c I know that we're not going to be friends.
It really is just one of those things you say to make things not so painful. Like being friends is easy.
Secondly, I know I have to retool my attitude towards school and career. I have 2.5 months left in this program and so far, no solid job prospects. I have to get on that immediately, start making contact with people, think about internships, think about where I'm going to move. 10 weeks is nothing and I better have a plan soon.
Because I really don't want to move to Regina and live with my parents.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home