Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Sunday, January 04, 2004

Vacations rock.
Needs are fulfilled. Wants and desires met. Even when you didn't know what you wanted.
For example, take my need for speed. I didn't know I had one 'til I rented a Sea-Doo. 1000baht (about $30) for 30 minutes. Tack on an extra hundred baht for late charges because you went so far out into the ocean, it took you 10 minutes just to get back.
But totally worth it. We hit these 5 ft waves out where the fishing boats were. You hit the gas as you go over and sail off the top.
So sweet.
Once we decided to go back, I glanced to my right and saw something big break the waves. It was big. Black. With fins. BIG. So glad I didn't fall off the Sea Doo.
That was the most active thing I did all week. Sea Doo.
The rest of the time at Peace Resort, I did what the name suggested and became at peace. I sat next to the pool, played frisbee on the beach, read 3 books (4 Blondes, Funny Valentine, The Guns of Navorone), ate at a different restaurant each night, complained about the kids in the pool, had cocktails every evening, snorkelled, sea kayaked, drank 2 pint milkshakes with Bailey's, realized that North Americans are a rare sight in Thailand and found out that you can buy as many fireworks as you want in Thailand. You can set them off wherever too. It's best if you set them off beside people standing on the beach. That way it's more fun when they run away from the noise.
Ko Samui is like that. You can find a quiet beach to hang out on or you can get Starbucks on the big beach after your Italian dinner.
Except for New Year's Eve, we stayed on the quiet north beach of Bo Phut. Drank VB at the Billabong Pub. Ate som tam (papaya salad) from street stands. Didn't think too much about anything.
Yup, I'm a tourist.
Until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home