Well, it finally happened. My hours of hard work paid off. Please check the Sunday Perspective section of your Bangkok Post to find not one but 2 stories by yours truly. They're crap stories, but my name is on them nonetheless. I suppose I shouldn't be proud of crap, but hey, it's difficult finding stories when you don't speak the language and you have no idea what's going on half the time. Wait, that could describe my life in Ontario as well.
"What do you mean the beer store is closed? The one on the other side of town is open!"
After putting in a hard day's work on Wednesday (read: a few hours), I began the Yuletide season with dinner parties with almost-perfect strangers. On Xmas Eve, I tagged along with some friends to a party in the suburbs where some teachers had put out an amazing spread of Xmas food. It was an early night since we all had to work on Xmas day. Yes, Xmas day. As Thailand is a Buddhist country, they don't really recognize the holiday, except to give gift baskets and fruit cakes to business associates.
Oh, the gift baskets. The Post has been overflowing with gift baskets the past week. There was so many of them, they auctioned them off at a party and all money went to charity. But that it isn't the most interesting part of the baskets. They usually contain an odd assortment of things, like a can of coconut milk, some Jack Daniels and a box of Kellog's Cornflakes. Maybe a bar of soap. Very odd. All nicely decorated, of course.
Xmas night I again tagged along to a party held by an old ultimate friend. He and his family stay at these service apartments called President Park when they're in from Hong Kong. He's a very senior corporate guy and she's an Asian singing sensation/celebrity. And they had a Xmas party by the pool, with a tree and gifts and turkey and a bunch of champagne. The super funny thing is that they're Jewish. Ah, when in Asia. It was a fun party and I managed to catch up with a few old Hong Kong ultimate buddies as well.
Made it into the office late on Boxing Day as the champagne was never-ending that night. No matter though b/c there was nothing for me to do. Most were impressed that I managed to get a story done this week. Plus, they're not paying me so they don't care when I show up.
I decided to take a break from partying on Friday and went to see Return of the King. My experience at the movie theatre was extraordinary but not impressive. First, at a Thai movie theatre, you have to book specific seats and Buddha help you if you deviate from that seating. You'll be asked to move in the middle of the movie despite the fact there are 14 seats available beside you. Because hey, they booked THAT seat. This booking system also means that everyone shows up during the trailers/commercials or after the movie has started, again forcing you to move.
After the trailers and commercials, you have to stand and pay respects to the King of Thailand. They show a little video retrospective of the man and his good works and you stand until it's done. Then you can settle in and watch the movie.
Unless you're watching Return of the King. After an hour, the film stops and they have a 10 minute intermission. Fine, no problem, they'll just start it up again right away.
Nope, they play more commercials and trailers and then start the movie...and I'm pretty sure they hacked some of it up because it didn't seem to follow where they stopped it. And the movie ended about 20 minutes earlier than it should've.
I'll have to see it again when I get back to Canada. You never know about these Thai sensors.
Yesterday, I had a bit of a lie-in and went to meet Michael and Brad (some ulti friends) to go to the giant Chatuchak Weekend Market. More on that when I actually go shopping there. We just zoomed through to see what we could see. There's a lot there that I'd love to get but I still have to work on my haggling. Unfortunately, the place is so big and crowded, I may never find where I was again. Really. I'm not joking about how big it is. After the market, we met up with Michael's girlfriend Kay and went to an amazing restaurant by the river. It was in an incredibly beautiful setting. Our table was in a little raised bungalow by the river and everything was lit with white lights. Lots of greenery and manicured lawns. Gorgeous. The food was amazing too. I love Thai food!
Next: The Ancient City tourist day; Bang Pu Resort and anticipating Samui.
"What do you mean the beer store is closed? The one on the other side of town is open!"
After putting in a hard day's work on Wednesday (read: a few hours), I began the Yuletide season with dinner parties with almost-perfect strangers. On Xmas Eve, I tagged along with some friends to a party in the suburbs where some teachers had put out an amazing spread of Xmas food. It was an early night since we all had to work on Xmas day. Yes, Xmas day. As Thailand is a Buddhist country, they don't really recognize the holiday, except to give gift baskets and fruit cakes to business associates.
Oh, the gift baskets. The Post has been overflowing with gift baskets the past week. There was so many of them, they auctioned them off at a party and all money went to charity. But that it isn't the most interesting part of the baskets. They usually contain an odd assortment of things, like a can of coconut milk, some Jack Daniels and a box of Kellog's Cornflakes. Maybe a bar of soap. Very odd. All nicely decorated, of course.
Xmas night I again tagged along to a party held by an old ultimate friend. He and his family stay at these service apartments called President Park when they're in from Hong Kong. He's a very senior corporate guy and she's an Asian singing sensation/celebrity. And they had a Xmas party by the pool, with a tree and gifts and turkey and a bunch of champagne. The super funny thing is that they're Jewish. Ah, when in Asia. It was a fun party and I managed to catch up with a few old Hong Kong ultimate buddies as well.
Made it into the office late on Boxing Day as the champagne was never-ending that night. No matter though b/c there was nothing for me to do. Most were impressed that I managed to get a story done this week. Plus, they're not paying me so they don't care when I show up.
I decided to take a break from partying on Friday and went to see Return of the King. My experience at the movie theatre was extraordinary but not impressive. First, at a Thai movie theatre, you have to book specific seats and Buddha help you if you deviate from that seating. You'll be asked to move in the middle of the movie despite the fact there are 14 seats available beside you. Because hey, they booked THAT seat. This booking system also means that everyone shows up during the trailers/commercials or after the movie has started, again forcing you to move.
After the trailers and commercials, you have to stand and pay respects to the King of Thailand. They show a little video retrospective of the man and his good works and you stand until it's done. Then you can settle in and watch the movie.
Unless you're watching Return of the King. After an hour, the film stops and they have a 10 minute intermission. Fine, no problem, they'll just start it up again right away.
Nope, they play more commercials and trailers and then start the movie...and I'm pretty sure they hacked some of it up because it didn't seem to follow where they stopped it. And the movie ended about 20 minutes earlier than it should've.
I'll have to see it again when I get back to Canada. You never know about these Thai sensors.
Yesterday, I had a bit of a lie-in and went to meet Michael and Brad (some ulti friends) to go to the giant Chatuchak Weekend Market. More on that when I actually go shopping there. We just zoomed through to see what we could see. There's a lot there that I'd love to get but I still have to work on my haggling. Unfortunately, the place is so big and crowded, I may never find where I was again. Really. I'm not joking about how big it is. After the market, we met up with Michael's girlfriend Kay and went to an amazing restaurant by the river. It was in an incredibly beautiful setting. Our table was in a little raised bungalow by the river and everything was lit with white lights. Lots of greenery and manicured lawns. Gorgeous. The food was amazing too. I love Thai food!
Next: The Ancient City tourist day; Bang Pu Resort and anticipating Samui.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home