Last week, I had a revelation. As internship/scholarship/fellowship deadlines loom, (Do YOU know what you're doing in May?) I figured out that I didn't have to apply for everything that came up. For example, I completely blew off the application to the Globe and Mail summer internship program. Same with the Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star and National Post (not that it will be around much longer). The biggest problem with all of these places is that they would require me to stay in Ontario. The second biggest problem is that they're newspapers and I'm no longer sure that I want to work at a newspaper, especially ones where the newsroom is bigger than my university cafeteria.
Yup, I can't wait to leave this province. I can't put my finger on it just yet, but I feel further away from home than I did when I lived in Japan! Maybe it's b/c I expect people here to understand Westerners more. But no; they don't. And they don't care to. So many people have never left Ontario and for them, Toronto really is the centre of the universe.
I can't imagine a worse hell than Toronto. OK, Cairo was pretty noisy, dirty and polluted. I stand corrected.
So, I put my efforts into the Donaldson Newsworld Scholarship. You get a paid position with Newsworld for the summer and they train you. And then you get to work for CBC for the rest of your life. Doesn't that sound awesome? Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it to pull off this one.
Yup, I can't wait to leave this province. I can't put my finger on it just yet, but I feel further away from home than I did when I lived in Japan! Maybe it's b/c I expect people here to understand Westerners more. But no; they don't. And they don't care to. So many people have never left Ontario and for them, Toronto really is the centre of the universe.
I can't imagine a worse hell than Toronto. OK, Cairo was pretty noisy, dirty and polluted. I stand corrected.
So, I put my efforts into the Donaldson Newsworld Scholarship. You get a paid position with Newsworld for the summer and they train you. And then you get to work for CBC for the rest of your life. Doesn't that sound awesome? Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it to pull off this one.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home