Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Hi again,
I'm learning some fun stuff in school these days.
In New Media, I'm learning how to write on line so people don't get bored.
How am I doing so far?
They say that "gray matter" - all of those paragraphs from my last post - are the death of online writing. People will stop reading.
Still there?
Good.
I got my first wee piece published in the London Free Press (local daily paper) the other day.
First, some explanation. The Free Press allows students from our program to come in for volunteer shifts at the newspaper. We're given a desk, maybe assigned a story (or come in with our own idea) and they publish us in the paper. We get experience and clippings, they get free labour.
I went in on Friday night, wrote a quick piece about lamb markets in Ontario being flooded b/c all of the western lambies are coming this way b/c of the border being closed to beef and beyond...and they printed it yesterday.
It was 1/4 the length I originally wrote. And it was a day after they announced the border would be opening.
Non-story.
But I got a clipping.
Yesterday was a rough day. I spent 6 hours looking at the computer screen, trying to write a script for my radio feature on an adult band at the university. They teach people to play the tuba, etc.
I stared and stared and stared and this is all I got:
"For many people, their relationship with band instruments ended in high school. It was time to bid farewell to the flute and forget about those good times at band camp."
Do you think my prof will get it?
So, hours hours HOURS spent staring at the screen, with nothing coming out of my fingers.
Today, I get to the computer and write the script in an hour. Inspiration strikes.
Moral of the Story: The story will come when it wants to.
Or... don't spend 6 hours willing a story to happen. Go to the pub and have a beer instead.
I've learned my lesson.
love y'all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home