Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Thursday, October 30, 2003

I was wary of it. I recognized its pitfalls first.
The world of MSN Messenger is fraught with danger to your work ethic and your ability to communicate effectively in person.
Its benefits included the ability to stop and start conversations without the usual niceties. You could also speak of things that would normally be impossible.
Messenger makes you brave in the face of a faceless interface.
Messenger makes you cowardly in the face of a friend.

I was stunned when I first got to university. Everyone was on Messenger. Everyone. It was a primary source of communication. Nobody exchanged phone numbers (unless you really like someone). They asked you for your ICQ or Messenger address. Stunned looks met the response, "I'm not on MSN." I soon learned that either you were on MSN or you were out of the loop.
And I hate being out of the loop.
So I tentatively made my way back to the MSN fold and signed on. There's a whole new world of communication out there and I'm in it. I can chat with people around the world instantly. I know that if I sign in late at night, I can have a decent conversation with friends in Singapore or Australia.
I talk with people 4 blocks away because calling them would be too much of a commitment. It would make it harder for me to do other things at the same time. They couldn't do other things at the same time. And really, who has the time for that kind of conversational commitment.

And I'm brave in this new world. I'm free to say things that cannot be overheard (but watch if someone's behind you as you type). Conversations that would be awkward and weird in person are easy with Messenger.
For example, I recently told someone that I'm interested in him. On Messenger.
It was so easy. I just typed and pressed SEND. There. Out there. Can't take it back. Said. Done.
But I don't have to see his face. I don't have to torture myself with overanalyzing any pause before he replies.
He's not answering because he's shocked/embarassed/excited/mortified. He's just doing something else. On Messenger with 3 other people perhaps. Working on an assignment. Like I am. Multitasking.
I'm not embarassed because I can't see a face.
And he can't see mine.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home