I got scooped by The Nation, the Post's rival newspaper.
Well, not scooped exactly. I'll probably get scooped by the news section of the Bangkok Post today as well.
I was assigned to work on a story about how the government of Thailand is deciding, today, whether or not to make bars, nightclubs, Internet cafes, snooker halls, pubs, spas, massage parlours, etc. close down at midnight. Yup, 12am. Right now, they close at 2am, which has been a huge deal for Bangkok since it used to be the place where you could party til dawn.
Not anymore.
The current government, headed by PM Thaksin Shinawatra, has decided to clean up the country and its reputation as a great place to live and visit.
The 'war on drugs' has made it very difficult to get stoned regularly, either in Bangkok or on the beach. Bob Marley's Legend has been replaced by Celine Dion's Greatest Hits. This is an improvement?
Police killed 2500 people in this drug war just so motorcycle taxi drivers would have a harder time getting hopped up on speed (good thing) and tourists would have a harder time getting their magic mushroom omelette (bad thing).
Now, they're saying that closing down bars will help 'save the children from vice' and bring Thailand back to the moral centre. Yes, I saw how children were saved and vice was avoided in Korea, where the bars also shut down at midnight.
Oh yah, I forgot. After the bars shut down at midnight, we would just follow all the Korean teenagers to the underground, after hours bars and drink til the wee hours.
Here's my theory: The Thai government is trying to shut down bars and massage parlours early, so people can spend time with their families, children will not be tempted by the sins of alcohol, drugs, and apparently, email and tourists will spend their time and money on early morning cultural tours of temples and markets.
BUT, the gov't is also thinking about legalizing gambling and allowing brand, spanking new casinos to remain open around the clock. The gov't, of course, will be taxing these casinos and the winnings. So, if the bars close at midnight, what will a fun-loving person do to continue their party? Go to a casino, of course. There, they will spend their money in a gov't regulated sort of way. Any guesses if the PM and CEO of Thailand might be making some side-money on this casino construction?
But back to the journalist side of things. I'm supposed to be doing a feature on the effect of these new hours. The Nation did a story today (and will tomorrow). The Post News Section will definitely be doing a piece today.
I have interviews lined up with bar owners tonight to have them comment on the hours and how it will affect their businesses.
Guess what?
I can't find out what the gov't decided today! Because no one at the government is answering the phone (Press '5' for English; press '0' for an operator; repeat until your finger is worn down to a bloody nub)
But, there is a gov't website where you can find out the business of the cabinet and their decisions.
It's all in Thai.
My editor isn't in the office. None of the Thai reporters are here. I can't even ask the news section to see if they know anything because their desks are empty...I think. Not sure. They're on a different floor and since no one has their own desk and shares computers, I don't even know who to ask.
And this is why I don't want to work at an English newspaper in a non-English country.
Next: I think I found my calling.
Well, not scooped exactly. I'll probably get scooped by the news section of the Bangkok Post today as well.
I was assigned to work on a story about how the government of Thailand is deciding, today, whether or not to make bars, nightclubs, Internet cafes, snooker halls, pubs, spas, massage parlours, etc. close down at midnight. Yup, 12am. Right now, they close at 2am, which has been a huge deal for Bangkok since it used to be the place where you could party til dawn.
Not anymore.
The current government, headed by PM Thaksin Shinawatra, has decided to clean up the country and its reputation as a great place to live and visit.
The 'war on drugs' has made it very difficult to get stoned regularly, either in Bangkok or on the beach. Bob Marley's Legend has been replaced by Celine Dion's Greatest Hits. This is an improvement?
Police killed 2500 people in this drug war just so motorcycle taxi drivers would have a harder time getting hopped up on speed (good thing) and tourists would have a harder time getting their magic mushroom omelette (bad thing).
Now, they're saying that closing down bars will help 'save the children from vice' and bring Thailand back to the moral centre. Yes, I saw how children were saved and vice was avoided in Korea, where the bars also shut down at midnight.
Oh yah, I forgot. After the bars shut down at midnight, we would just follow all the Korean teenagers to the underground, after hours bars and drink til the wee hours.
Here's my theory: The Thai government is trying to shut down bars and massage parlours early, so people can spend time with their families, children will not be tempted by the sins of alcohol, drugs, and apparently, email and tourists will spend their time and money on early morning cultural tours of temples and markets.
BUT, the gov't is also thinking about legalizing gambling and allowing brand, spanking new casinos to remain open around the clock. The gov't, of course, will be taxing these casinos and the winnings. So, if the bars close at midnight, what will a fun-loving person do to continue their party? Go to a casino, of course. There, they will spend their money in a gov't regulated sort of way. Any guesses if the PM and CEO of Thailand might be making some side-money on this casino construction?
But back to the journalist side of things. I'm supposed to be doing a feature on the effect of these new hours. The Nation did a story today (and will tomorrow). The Post News Section will definitely be doing a piece today.
I have interviews lined up with bar owners tonight to have them comment on the hours and how it will affect their businesses.
Guess what?
I can't find out what the gov't decided today! Because no one at the government is answering the phone (Press '5' for English; press '0' for an operator; repeat until your finger is worn down to a bloody nub)
But, there is a gov't website where you can find out the business of the cabinet and their decisions.
It's all in Thai.
My editor isn't in the office. None of the Thai reporters are here. I can't even ask the news section to see if they know anything because their desks are empty...I think. Not sure. They're on a different floor and since no one has their own desk and shares computers, I don't even know who to ask.
And this is why I don't want to work at an English newspaper in a non-English country.
Next: I think I found my calling.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home