Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Monday, January 19, 2004

Hmmm, where to begin. I think I said in my last post that I had found my calling. Well, I think I have but I've been so busy I haven't thought too much about it lately.
I decided that I want to work for the Red Cross as an information officer. That's my goal right now and I've made a lot of connections here at the regional headquarters of the IFRC. I gotta brush up on my French (that means 'learn French'), take the Basic Training Course and then try to get sent on missions to disastrous places around the world.
Like right now, the media coordinator in Bam, Iran is completely burnt out. They need someone to replace them. Of course, I have a masters to finish but otherwise, I'd be there.
Or maybe I'd be hanging out in the Phillipines, writing about the rehab programme for the landslide victims there.
Or I'd be at the desk in Bangkok, being sent to any one of 18 countries in the region that needs some press releases done.
Cool, hey?
It feels weird to have a goal other than 'have fun'.
Speaking of fun, I had a great weekend. I went out for drinks with some friends on Friday night, spent Saturday getting a manicure/pedicure, lunching with friends and going engagement ring shopping. No, not for me. I was a consultant for a friend. And yes, with my vast knowledge of jewellry, relationships, and marriage, I managed to be completely useless. It was fun to try on pretty things though.
Saturday night was a going away party for one of the long-standing ultimate players in the region. A nice dinner was followed by a margarita/dance party at my house. 3:30am came 'round and everyone left and an hour later, the goodbye girl (who was also staying at my house) left to catch her plane. Good times.
Sunday saw me playing some disc in the park with the gang and then meeting a couple of friends at the Sheraton to listen to jazz legend Maynard Ferguson (wrote the theme to 'Rocky' and 'Battlestar Galatica'). More good times.
I have 10 days left in BKK and my time is already filling up fast. I have to get Philliipines story done SOON, finish some editing for the Red Cross, do a quick last visit to Chatuchak Weekend Market for souvenirs, visit a friend's orchid farm near BKK and try to find a couple of days for some beach time. The beach time is looking less and less likely since the closest beach is Pattaya and I really, really don't want to go there.
But a beach is a beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home