Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Friday, August 20, 2004

Ooooh, my last post was bitter. Bitter, bitter, bitter.
I think I'm feeling much better now.
I've had some wilderness experiences in the past week that have cleared my head a bit.
Last week, I was invited to go horseback riding down near Christina Lake. I went with a group of women who go riding together often. They dress up in different, wacky outfits, pack the saddle bags full of booze and Pringles, and head out on the trail. I had a lovely horse named Caesar who, as a trail horse, wasn't as comatose as some of the others. It was a great little ride. We went to a beach on the banks of the Kettle River and watched people tubing by. It was great to be on a horse again. It's been quite a few years. But like riding a bike, you never forget how to ride a horse. I'm told that I'm one of the gang now, so I'm sure I'll be going on a ride a few other times this fall.
And last night, I went for a bike ride near my house for the first time in a long time. My friend and I went up to Copper Ridge, a rural subdivision close to my house that is really undeveloped and has a ton of little trails all over the place. We saw a ton of deer and expected to see rattlesnakes but didn't. We heading down a trail towards Observation Mountain when my friend came to a sudden stop right in front of me. I was about to give 'im hell until I saw why he stopped. Two black bears were zooming their way up the trail in front of us. Not too far in front of us. Crazy. Of all the time I spent in K-Country, I've never been as close to a bear as that.
My friend jokingly tried to convince me to keep heading up the trail (in essence, follow the bears) but I was having none of that. We left the ridge and headed down to the Station Pub for a beer.
Work news: My colleague just told everyone that she's received a job offer in Ontario and is leaving in 2 weeks. That'll leave me with a little less stress,in terms of her and i getting along. But for a while, I'm sure, I'll be covering both of our beats. Maybe they'll pay me more...:)
No big plans coming up for the next few weeks, at least. Mom and Dad are thinking of coming to visit during the Labour Day weekend, but that's about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home