I've caught a cold.
Dammit.
Apparently, the entire town has a cold, or some illness, and I've gone and caught it. It's impossible to defend myself against a cold that an entire town has. Unless I started wearing a nice Hello Kitty mask or something of the sort.
I think my immune system finally succumbed to this infectious onslaught b/c of my emotional turmoil of late. After a few weeks of trying to work things out with the guy I was dating, the relationship finally ended on Friday.
Now, I'm not torn up abou this too much. Things weren't going well and to be honest, I didn't like him enough to contemplate a future with him here in ye old town of GF.
But what pisses me off if how we broke it off. It was ugly.
Our first breakup a few weeks ago was a model for all breakups in the world to follow. It was a calm, mature discussion where both of us walked away thinking as sad as it all is, maybe this is for the best and we can be friends. We should've videotaped it and sold it as an instructional video on how to end relationships without bitterness, animosity and vindictiveness.
Of course, we got back together and tried to patch things up.
This weekend's ending was the opposite of the first. It descended into anger, yelling, misunderstanding and plain old bad feelings. Not good at all. Of course, I place most of the blame on him for all of this horribleness and I think if an impartial third party took a look at this case, maybe Judge Judy or Louise Arbour, they would find him guilty of 70-80% of the bad breakup and me with some complicity in the horrible fight. Probably b/c I gave him that creepy, angry look I've been accused of giving to people when I'm really pissed at them.
But the point of all of this is that the style of breakup sets the tone for the rest of the interactions between the two people. And what they say to their friends about each other. If we had broken up like we did the first time, I would now be saying things like, "It just didn't work out. Too bad b/c he's such a great guy." Or, "You know, I lost a boyfriend, but gained a friend."
Today, I'm saying "What an immature schmuck." "I'm way better off without him." "Who the hell does he think he is, treating me like I'm a total moron b/c I didn't read his mind when he was thinking our rel'p was over. That's what language is for; to communicate thoughts. Dumbass."
See, two different breakups, two different aftermaths. Moral of the story: Break up nicely. It may be the last nice thing you do for that person.
Dammit.
Apparently, the entire town has a cold, or some illness, and I've gone and caught it. It's impossible to defend myself against a cold that an entire town has. Unless I started wearing a nice Hello Kitty mask or something of the sort.
I think my immune system finally succumbed to this infectious onslaught b/c of my emotional turmoil of late. After a few weeks of trying to work things out with the guy I was dating, the relationship finally ended on Friday.
Now, I'm not torn up abou this too much. Things weren't going well and to be honest, I didn't like him enough to contemplate a future with him here in ye old town of GF.
But what pisses me off if how we broke it off. It was ugly.
Our first breakup a few weeks ago was a model for all breakups in the world to follow. It was a calm, mature discussion where both of us walked away thinking as sad as it all is, maybe this is for the best and we can be friends. We should've videotaped it and sold it as an instructional video on how to end relationships without bitterness, animosity and vindictiveness.
Of course, we got back together and tried to patch things up.
This weekend's ending was the opposite of the first. It descended into anger, yelling, misunderstanding and plain old bad feelings. Not good at all. Of course, I place most of the blame on him for all of this horribleness and I think if an impartial third party took a look at this case, maybe Judge Judy or Louise Arbour, they would find him guilty of 70-80% of the bad breakup and me with some complicity in the horrible fight. Probably b/c I gave him that creepy, angry look I've been accused of giving to people when I'm really pissed at them.
But the point of all of this is that the style of breakup sets the tone for the rest of the interactions between the two people. And what they say to their friends about each other. If we had broken up like we did the first time, I would now be saying things like, "It just didn't work out. Too bad b/c he's such a great guy." Or, "You know, I lost a boyfriend, but gained a friend."
Today, I'm saying "What an immature schmuck." "I'm way better off without him." "Who the hell does he think he is, treating me like I'm a total moron b/c I didn't read his mind when he was thinking our rel'p was over. That's what language is for; to communicate thoughts. Dumbass."
See, two different breakups, two different aftermaths. Moral of the story: Break up nicely. It may be the last nice thing you do for that person.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home