I know a lot of people out there are addicted to the Olympics, like me. I don't have a TV at work (unlike a lot of journalists I know) so I keep up with my little CBC updates but man, I wish I had a TV here. I could be watching 3 metre springboard or something right now.
I think that's part of the attraction right now. Unless you are a scheduling freak, you never know what sport is going to happen at any given moment. You could be watching hurdles and they'll cut away to beach volleyball and then gymnastics. And if you have cable, you could be switching between NBC and CBC all the time, to get maximum sports. I'm lucky CBC is on Ch. 5 and NBC is on Ch.6, so it's one little toggle switch to keep my spectator neurons firing.
And that is why people are addicted to the Olympics. Attention Deficit Disorder. You can watch 7 different sports, highlights, whatever, in the course of a few hours. You switch channels to yell at Bob Costas' hair and Ron Maclean's suits. The screen is jumpy, the satellite feed is crazy, the athletes are zooming around, and your brain is firing a millions miles a minute.
It's the ultimate TV watching experience. Fast action, fast cuts, some emotion and bang, the big finish.
The only thing that keeps me from despairing of the massive crash at the end of the Olympics is knowing that people with satellite will probably have it a whole lot worse. Instead of just American and Canadian views, you could get Japan, Brazil and Australia on screen.
The crash is still going to be pretty bad though.
I think that's part of the attraction right now. Unless you are a scheduling freak, you never know what sport is going to happen at any given moment. You could be watching hurdles and they'll cut away to beach volleyball and then gymnastics. And if you have cable, you could be switching between NBC and CBC all the time, to get maximum sports. I'm lucky CBC is on Ch. 5 and NBC is on Ch.6, so it's one little toggle switch to keep my spectator neurons firing.
And that is why people are addicted to the Olympics. Attention Deficit Disorder. You can watch 7 different sports, highlights, whatever, in the course of a few hours. You switch channels to yell at Bob Costas' hair and Ron Maclean's suits. The screen is jumpy, the satellite feed is crazy, the athletes are zooming around, and your brain is firing a millions miles a minute.
It's the ultimate TV watching experience. Fast action, fast cuts, some emotion and bang, the big finish.
The only thing that keeps me from despairing of the massive crash at the end of the Olympics is knowing that people with satellite will probably have it a whole lot worse. Instead of just American and Canadian views, you could get Japan, Brazil and Australia on screen.
The crash is still going to be pretty bad though.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home