Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Back from the Brink


Working backwards on my lo, so neglected blog (curses Facebook!), these are some images from Tofino last weekend. My first time in the Spanish-named surfing mecca was fantastic. Despite being unable to surf on the Saturday due to high waves and bad-ass tides, it was a beautiful day to be near the water. Fresh crab for dinner helped us get over the fact that the ocean was so very angry and we were just hours away from being denied any surfing at all. But Sunday dawned and it was pouring rain, but the big water was downgraded to 'simply irritated' and we were able to surf. I was new to the actual sport but well-versed in the surfing culture, having purchased 'Blue Crush' on DVD years earlier. String bikinis gave way to 5mm thick wetsuits with gloves and booties but in my mind, I was charging pipe with every wave.
I emerged, bruised and battered, two hours later but triumphant because I had stood up on a surf board and felt an ounce of control over this salty beast.
Throughout August and September and once in October, we spent part of every weekend finding new heights to climb and cirques to explore in Kananaskis Country. Good thing Dave can read topo maps like they actually mean something in the real world.
In other news, I moved to a different job in the same organization. It's more fun, less irritating and offers a lot more learning. It took a while for everyone to figure out what I was supposed to be doing, but now that they have, I'm pretty busy.
We also moved to a new flat at the beginning of July. It's way nicer than our old place; so nice that I was originally nervous about moving in. It's probably the nicest place I've ever lived in.

Petty grievances over the past few months:
  • oil companies that threaten to move out of Alberta if they have to pay more royalties
  • more bad drivers
  • traffic gridlock
  • aching left Achilles tendon
Nodes of interest (other than those mentioned above):
  • CBC 'Dispatches' podcast
  • Bootcamp on Monday night (oh my aching quads)
  • Yoga on Wednesdays
  • Oster 'Classic Beehive' Blender
  • Pineapple and coconut tofu smoothies
As you were...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home