Another Bandwagon I Will(Fully) Miss
Dave assures that my title is not a play on words. I say that it is and only the truly intelligent will get it.
But this post isn't about how I'm always right about everything around here. It's about all the emails I've been getting from friends, acquaintances and people I haven't given a thought in years. I've been invited to be a Friend on more Facebooks than I have friends in meat world. I know it's because I'm in someone's address book and they've just done a full import on it. That's the only reason why someone who has completely dissed me and doesn't even speak to me anymore would add me as a Facebook Friend.
I think I just came up with a new slang (as in new to me because I haven't had time to read this month's WIRED yet and it's probably in there). A Facebook Friend is someone you add that you have no intention of actually being a friend with (or even calling if you're in the same town) but their Facebook Friendship makes it look like you have lots of friends.
But I'm not biting. I have actually established myself on Facebook and in so doing added myself as a Friend to my actual friend's Facebook life. However, I have not posted a profile or added anyone else to my Friends. And it's not because I think Facebook is stupid, worthless or only for the weak-bladdered and bewildered.
I refuse to be a Facebooker because I just don't have time. Anyone who reads this blog knows that I barely have the time and motivation to keep up with this thing, much less any other online social networking/blogging site. Plus, I think that like blogging and MSN pages and to some extent MySpace, Facebook is going the way of the giant squid. Not extinct; just hard to find good specimens.
And, of course, I am still of the (slightly) old-fashioned mindset that my work hours are for working in front of a computer, and my non-work hours are for doing things that I can't do when I'm at work, namely watching TV, kissing my boyfriend, or doing something outside from home away from electrical outlets. And I still think that if you are overseas travelling, you should still write postcards and stay out of internet cafes as much as possible.
Because real life never happens online.
But this post isn't about how I'm always right about everything around here. It's about all the emails I've been getting from friends, acquaintances and people I haven't given a thought in years. I've been invited to be a Friend on more Facebooks than I have friends in meat world. I know it's because I'm in someone's address book and they've just done a full import on it. That's the only reason why someone who has completely dissed me and doesn't even speak to me anymore would add me as a Facebook Friend.
I think I just came up with a new slang (as in new to me because I haven't had time to read this month's WIRED yet and it's probably in there). A Facebook Friend is someone you add that you have no intention of actually being a friend with (or even calling if you're in the same town) but their Facebook Friendship makes it look like you have lots of friends.
But I'm not biting. I have actually established myself on Facebook and in so doing added myself as a Friend to my actual friend's Facebook life. However, I have not posted a profile or added anyone else to my Friends. And it's not because I think Facebook is stupid, worthless or only for the weak-bladdered and bewildered.
I refuse to be a Facebooker because I just don't have time. Anyone who reads this blog knows that I barely have the time and motivation to keep up with this thing, much less any other online social networking/blogging site. Plus, I think that like blogging and MSN pages and to some extent MySpace, Facebook is going the way of the giant squid. Not extinct; just hard to find good specimens.
And, of course, I am still of the (slightly) old-fashioned mindset that my work hours are for working in front of a computer, and my non-work hours are for doing things that I can't do when I'm at work, namely watching TV, kissing my boyfriend, or doing something outside from home away from electrical outlets. And I still think that if you are overseas travelling, you should still write postcards and stay out of internet cafes as much as possible.
Because real life never happens online.


2 Comments:
At 8:07 AM,
Hungry J said…
Your words are indeed behind the times, as that's pretty much the accepted definition of facebook friend. I'm sure it's on urbandictionary or something.
At 5:02 PM,
Hungry J said…
It's not on urbandictionary as such. I maintain my affirmation of your definition being behind the times. Sue me.
No! Please don't sue me!
Post a Comment
<< Home