Life? What life?
My voice started to improve during the week, to the point that I forgot that I have some sort of virus that gives me laryngitis and I should still take it easy. But since I have few friends and the slightest sliver of a life, talking wasn't such a problem outside of work.
I had the biggest soap opera of a week...culminating with a desire to just sit home and read because then my heart/brain wouldn't explode with thoughts that shouldn't be thought.
Monday night....I make plans with a new friend for the next night. Yippee.
Then I get cocky and decide to call an old friend to find out why he hasn't called me in 2 weeks.
Note: The term 'friend' in this story denotes a guy in whom I'm interested romantically, not David Schwimmer or Matthew Perry.
From my phone conversation with my old friend, I understand two things. First, he thinks I'm awesome. Second, he's really, really phenomenally bad at returning phone calls or initiating them. Thanks to some old j-skool buddies, I'm understanding this is a somewhat common phenomenon amongst people.
And I don't know why, but I'm inclined to give the old friend a second chance at this whole friendship...though every brain cell in my body (and most of my buddies) is saying to ditch him hard and at high speeds. I'm still debating this one and I'm wondering if it has something to do with my new friend, who I believe stood me up on Tuesday night.
Yup, he didn't call when he said he would. And not the next day, or day after. And my pride didn't allow me to call to give him the satisfaction of hearing my hurt feelings over the phone line.
But it doesn't end there.
Friday lunch...I'm having food with Tait and Marls in Saskatoon when I see my new friend with another girl. Yes, I was aware that I wasn't the only chick in his life, but after my whole "I got stood up" thing, I was not in the mood to witness it first hand. Despite trying to avoid him, I had to say hello. It was one of those situations that if I didn't say hi, it would've been stupid. Plus, I was hoping it was a sign that I was far too cool for this guy.
So, I say hi. I expect him to just say hey and go back to the other girl...but no, he bounds over and says "I lost your number. I wanted to call you but I lost it." My filter turned off and I blurted, "But YOU were supposed to call ME." He reiterated that he lost it and insisted that I give it to him again. I do (because I LOVE giving these friends of mine the benefit of the doubt) and we chat about how he's going camping somewhere for the weekend...I only assume with girl at table since she's holding a goddamn road map. And we end the convo pleasantly and it's over.
Tait and Marls declare they could not date someone who's dating other people. I decide that I can...but I'm not sure why since, in a place like Saskatoon, you are bound to run into people...even in the most unlikely of lunch establishments.
So, here's my question to myself. I'm thinking of giving my old friend a second chance, as his only sin has been a phobia of phoning, despite how awesome I am (his words). But the new friend, who didn't call me once due to a lost phone number (which I'll believe for now), I'm thinking of saying nay. Of course, this is simplistic in explanation...but it still poses the question...why am I putting up with either of them?
I'll be putting in some serious ponder time on this one.
I had the biggest soap opera of a week...culminating with a desire to just sit home and read because then my heart/brain wouldn't explode with thoughts that shouldn't be thought.
Monday night....I make plans with a new friend for the next night. Yippee.
Then I get cocky and decide to call an old friend to find out why he hasn't called me in 2 weeks.
Note: The term 'friend' in this story denotes a guy in whom I'm interested romantically, not David Schwimmer or Matthew Perry.
From my phone conversation with my old friend, I understand two things. First, he thinks I'm awesome. Second, he's really, really phenomenally bad at returning phone calls or initiating them. Thanks to some old j-skool buddies, I'm understanding this is a somewhat common phenomenon amongst people.
And I don't know why, but I'm inclined to give the old friend a second chance at this whole friendship...though every brain cell in my body (and most of my buddies) is saying to ditch him hard and at high speeds. I'm still debating this one and I'm wondering if it has something to do with my new friend, who I believe stood me up on Tuesday night.
Yup, he didn't call when he said he would. And not the next day, or day after. And my pride didn't allow me to call to give him the satisfaction of hearing my hurt feelings over the phone line.
But it doesn't end there.
Friday lunch...I'm having food with Tait and Marls in Saskatoon when I see my new friend with another girl. Yes, I was aware that I wasn't the only chick in his life, but after my whole "I got stood up" thing, I was not in the mood to witness it first hand. Despite trying to avoid him, I had to say hello. It was one of those situations that if I didn't say hi, it would've been stupid. Plus, I was hoping it was a sign that I was far too cool for this guy.
So, I say hi. I expect him to just say hey and go back to the other girl...but no, he bounds over and says "I lost your number. I wanted to call you but I lost it." My filter turned off and I blurted, "But YOU were supposed to call ME." He reiterated that he lost it and insisted that I give it to him again. I do (because I LOVE giving these friends of mine the benefit of the doubt) and we chat about how he's going camping somewhere for the weekend...I only assume with girl at table since she's holding a goddamn road map. And we end the convo pleasantly and it's over.
Tait and Marls declare they could not date someone who's dating other people. I decide that I can...but I'm not sure why since, in a place like Saskatoon, you are bound to run into people...even in the most unlikely of lunch establishments.
So, here's my question to myself. I'm thinking of giving my old friend a second chance, as his only sin has been a phobia of phoning, despite how awesome I am (his words). But the new friend, who didn't call me once due to a lost phone number (which I'll believe for now), I'm thinking of saying nay. Of course, this is simplistic in explanation...but it still poses the question...why am I putting up with either of them?
I'll be putting in some serious ponder time on this one.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home