Falling Down Seven Times

Inconsistently writing about my life in particular since 2002.

Monday, June 27, 2005

So true, so right

Massive props to my friend Jay, who emailed me the day after my last post. You have a dirty mind, but my oh my, you know me well.
I didn't play in that hat tourney but I did go to the cups night. Played a lot, drank some more, met a lot of fun people, ended up at a house party, crashed at someone's house. All good. That's what frisbee people are supposed to be about.
I recovered somewhat from my death and destruction week from before...and ended up taking very little interest in my job. To the point where I could literally have phoned it in. My apathy didn't extend to the ulti field though, where I almost popped someone in the head. It's amazing how little patience I have with people who are such complete and total asses.
The week flowed by on a haze of work-related apathy, interest in some new friends, and the realization that I actually have the beginnings of a life here in Saskatoon.
Friday night was spent with friends until I was felled by a mysterious and persistent flu/cold thing. I rallied for Saturday because it was time to get on the bus, the Rider bus. Yes, work sponsored a bus, tickets and booze for the lot of us to go down to Regina to see the home opener, gawdblessem. So, at 2:30pm I had my first bevvie, starting a 12 hour journey to the home of the Green and White. We arrived and it was pouring. We wandered around the stadium in search of the promised burger we had all held out for. Finding no free food, we were forced to pay and then wait in the bowels of Taylor Field for the kick-off, delayed for 30 minutes because of lightning. And when the game started, I was still downstairs, trying to convince a girl from work she shouldn't yell at the ATM, that's not the way to get money from it. And the beer man was not being rude. So, I missed the first touchdown of the game. From then on, I was in the stands but as every football game I've seen at Taylor Field, not really watching the game. There are far too many people to talk with. I even got hit on by some guy in the seat next to me. Who the hell hits on girls at Rider game? And is it supposed to work?
By the time we got back to Saskatoon, I had lost my voice completely. Same as what happened over 2 weeks ago. Just gone. I spend all day yesterday inside, nursing my sore head (cause known) and my broken vocal chords (cause unknown).
Today, still broken chords and I had to work. As in talk. A lot. Every half hour. Because I'm in radio. That's what I do. But it was getting ridiculous so I decided to go to a doctor to find out if there was anything I should be concerned about.
Giving up my media pass to K-os and my ulti game, I went to a clinic. Only to be told that laryngitis is caused by a viral infection and there's nothing I can do unless I'm good. As in lots of sleep and no talking. And I should be in lots of humidity all the time.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the doctor just told me to hit a nice beach in the southern hemisphere somewhere.
So, in the interests of my job, I'm trying to be good and not talk too much. And plus, my voice is not Phoebe-sexy. It's just raspy. Like I can't even sing Bette Davis eyes with much credibility.
Here's to keeping quiet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home